Wednesday, March 25, 2009

It's For My Own Good

Friends...I have an addiction. I once used it just to get my by during tough times, but lately I've found myself needing it more and more. Last week during my hellish sickness, I did it almost all day everyday, just to give myself a bit of relief. Now that I'm better and the weather is improving I really don't want to use it as much, but I am. I'm talking online TV and movies.

Not going to lie, it's gotten pretty bad. I used to just catch up on missed episodes of primetime tv occasionally. Then I started exclusively watching a few shows that conflicted with my schedule online. Then I was searching for new shows to watch when I was bored and the weather was too gross to go out. While I was sick and walking to the kitchen and back felt like running a marathon, I stayed cozy in bed with my trusty laptop and a nearly endless supply of Hulu movies and television shows, and catching up on my favorites at ABC and NBC.

I've got regular broadcast television, but no cable. On any typical night I can maybe find one show that I'll sit down and watch on the handful of channels I get. It's just that when I have tons of episodes, on demand, that I actually like...the draw of the couch gets much stronger.

Even though I'm better this week, I find myself in the post-sickness, changing of seasons, tired, slump. I come home, have some dinner, hang out with the dog, and then the laptop goes on. I just need to sit down and relax for a few minutes. First I'm just going to watch one episode. Then I just HAVE to see how the cliffhanger resolves itself in the next. I toss a load of laundry in, and why not, turn on a movie until it's time to change the wash over to the dryer. All too often I'm still up at midnight just to finish off the last few minutes of that movie. **sigh**

It's pretty bad isn't it?

That's why I'm challenging myself. For the remainder of this week, no more online movies or TV. NONE. I know it's only three days, but baby steps right?

Hi, my name is Cara and I'm addicted to my laptop. (Hi, Cara.)

The first step is admitting that I have a problem...

(Photo courtesy Andrew Coulter Enright)

2 comments:

Liz said...

I feel you.

I seriously enjoyed my first year in my apartment without cable, and for a few months, without a TV at all. I was much more productive.

Alas, my fiance will probably never again allow my productivity to peak due to his love of the AT&T U-Verse

Jason Cowan said...

It's a good thing.