Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I Can't Quite Put My Nose On It


I noticed that I was down to the last few squirts of my favorite perfume, Lovely by SJP. Thinking it may be time for a change, I've had my eye out for my new signature fragrance. I'm into clean scents and light florals, but loathe anything that smells too strongly of baby powder, musk, or patchouli. I'm also a fan of unique scents, because I'd like to think that I smell different (and maybe better :) ) than the masses. In my search I've definitely run across a few that are more unique than I'd expected.

You've probably heard by now, but Burger King has a fragrance called Flame out. Apparently it smells like "seduction, with a hint of flame broiled meat." Gross.

Demeter also has some pretty unique options in their fragrance library. Two of my most surprising finds for the kid in you: Play-doh and Crayon. Then again, they also have fragrances that smell like various cocktails and desserts, dust, mushroom, lobster, grass, sushi, and even...cannabis. Classy :).

My favorite unconventional scent maker so far is CB: I Hate Perfume. Christopher Brosius creates natural, alcohol free scents that often correspond with his memories of certain places. Gathering Apples is "thousands of ripe, red MacIntosh apples with a bit of old weathered wood from the bushel baskets." Winter 1972 smells like "a field of untouched newfallen snow, handknit woolen mittens covered with frost, a hint of frozen forest and sleeping earth." I'm most curious about In the Library which is described as "english novel taken from a signed first edition copy of one of my favorite novels, Russian and Moroccan leather bindings, worn cloth and a hint of wood polish." I'm totally intrigued and would love to visit his shop in Brooklyn. He'll even whip up a custom scent for you!

This past weekend, the BF and I were at Sephora and he offered to help me narrow down some choices from their massive wall of perfume. We both sniffed and spritzed for a while, and eventually I'd narrowed it to two. While he was across the store I spritzed a test strip with each of the finalists and approached him for a blind sniff test. May I just say, he is such a good sport :). He gave each serious consideration and finally said "I like the first one, but I just think the second one is it." The second one, and ultimately the winner, was....drumroll please.........Lovely. Ha ha ha. At least I know what works!
(Photo courtesy Ms. Tina)

1 comment:

Jason Cowan said...

Wow, he sounds like a great guy who is in tune to you. That's hard to come by these days.