Monday, January 26, 2009

A Bloody Good Time

Along with a few people from my work, the BF and I made our way down to Municipal Auditorium this past Saturday to check out our very first roller derby match at the KC Roller Warriors season opener. We were most definitely not disappointed.

It was a really good time, and though it was definitely full contact, it was not as rough as I had thought. After about three matches we really started catching on to the rules and loved it.

For those of you visually oriented like me, this fab little illustration found on the website explains it all:


This would have been helpful to know beforehand (since we couldn't hear the announcer's explanation for the echo), but we eventually caught on. Anyway, it was well worth the money and I highly suggest checking it out if you ever get the opportunity.
It was definitely fast paced, exciting, and overall everyone was very down-to-earth and seemed to really enjoy themselves. Most of the ladies have day jobs and do it simply for love of the sport. Refreshing considering the attitudes of many athletes today.
Despite the edgy reputation, we didn't see any blood, biting, or punches thrown (that I could tell) but there were plenty of rowdy spills and blocks. I'm sure a few KC ladies are sporting some pretty sweet bruises this week.
Not going to lie, I'm kinda intrigued, and kinda want to do it. Next tryouts are in the fall sometime. Looks like I need to brush up on my quad-skating abilities :)




(photos courtesy basurablancaphoto)

No comments: